We create Value for Business and Society, acquiring, generating and transferring knowledge in the field of Health and Well-Being.
- Rehabilitation robotics and functional electrical stimulation for physical training and motor learning
- Tools to quantitatively assess the functional improvement
- Technologies allowing outpatient and home rehabilitation
- New methods for assessing motor and cognitive learning and training in terms of neuronal changes
- Technologies that aim to aid recovery from musculoskeletal injuries, and minimize and/or compensate for any functional alterations
- Smart materials for support of function or recovery
- Biosignal sensing and feedback – Garments and Orthoses
- Advanced service platforms and solutions for integrated health and social care
- Remote monitoring of people's behavior at home
- Early preventive detection of behavioral changes
- Remote monitoring of vital signs
- Home-based solutions for chronic diseases
- Adherence to pharmacological treatment
- Personalized healthcare applications.
- Novel approaches to healthcare
- Support products for people with auditory and visual disabilities.
- Interfaces, systems and devices that improve the communication of the elderly and the disabled.
- AAL (Ambient Assisted Living) solutions for the home, workplace and life in general
- Robotics for manipulation and haptic technologies
- Systems to support or help people with a cognitive disability to undertake day-to-day activities
- Cognitive training
- Multi-sensorial education at home and in the workplace
Bioprocesses & Preservation
- Healthier and/or functional foods.
- Bioactive compounds.
- Protection, addition and controlled release of bioactive compounds.
- Micro- and Nanoencapsulation of ingredients.
- Biotechnological processes.
- "In vitro" testing for the evaluation of ingredients.
- Bioactivity studies for functional compounds.
- Identification and quantification of new chemical pollutants.
- Production of edible/biodegradable films and coatings
- Biopolymers blending and modification. Bio-nanoreinforcements obtaining and incorporation.
- Physicochemical and functional characterisation of biomaterials.
- Antimicrobial/antioxidant active packaging system.
- Smart packaging systems.
- Innovative technologies with applications in the wine industry to improve food quality and safety.
- Isolation, selection and immobilisation of indigenous autochthonous wine yeasts.
- New technologies for optimisation of every production stage.
- Analytical methodologies and analysis of specific compounds in grape, wine and auxiliary materials.
- By-products valorisation.
Devices and materials for in vivo use
- Biodegradable matrices for tissue regeneration.
- Non-degradable materials for bone implants with controlled porosity.
- Surface functionalization of devices by click chemistry, carbodiimide chemistry, etc.
- Biodegradable materials for advanced therapies (polymeric coatings and nanoparticles for drug delivery, injectable hydrogels for cell therapy, etc.)
- CE marking, issuance of certificate of compliance to ISO 10993 standards.
- Characterization of the biological impact of new materials and products.
- Nano-safety: assessment of the biological impact of nanomaterials (cell uptake, mutagenicity, pro-inflammatory activity, etc.)
In vitro diagnostic devices and cell-based assays
- Materials and enabling technologies for in vitro 3D cell cultures.
- Custom design of polystyrene-based consumables.
- Biosensors integrating carbon nanotubes.