TECNALIA will present the new capabilities of its Optics Laboratory for the development and optical characterisation of materials and products aimed at improving energy efficiency, sustainability and universal accessibility.
Energy efficiency of buildings
- Efficient glazing. By determining transmittance and reflectance, glazing elements and their components can be improved to boost the efficiency of the building as a whole.
Sustainability in construction
- Products and finishes for horizontal roofs and paving. Solar reflectance is critical for making progress in the development of new materials and products that can contribute to mitigating the urban heat island effect. It is also relevant for the day-to-day work of the companies that make up the value chain of the construction sector, as it is a parameter requested by the majority of sustainability certification schemes for buildings (COOL ROOFS, LEED, BREEAM, HQE).
Universal accessibility and comfort
- Light reflectance value (LRV) is a regulated parameter for materials used in the finishing of building solutions and components installed in public buildings and public transport vehicles (road and rail). Requirements need to be met to ensure that there is a colour contrast between the different elements that make up the spaces and built environments in which people interact.
- By determining the maximum specular component of the light reflectance of surface finishes, it is possible to assess the surface brightness and consequently the possibility of producing glare.
- Basics of the measuring procedure using UV/VIS/NIR spectrophotometers
- Application in measuring
- Measurable quantities (solar reflectance and transmittance)
- Calculations and standards for obtaining market values (SRI, LRV)
- Manufacturers of finishes for paving and roofing (glass, paints and waterproofing, ceramics, natural stone, concrete, composites, sandwich panels, plastic roofing).
- Manufacturers of finishes for the automotive, rail transport, shipbuilding and lifting sectors.
- Architects, engineers, construction companies, building owners and managers
- Building sustainability certification consultants (LEED, HQE, BREEAM, ENERGY STAR)