TECNALIA’s GLEEBLE 3800 system is a physical simulator of thermo-mechanical processes in metal alloys, such as hot rolling, forging, hot stamping, HAZ in welding and the mapping of forming.
The system is made up of the following equipment:
- Mobile conversion unit.
- Test chamber (vacuum and controlled atmosphere).
- Mobile axis.
- Servo-hydraulic system.
- Hydraulic pump.
- Water cooler.
- Channels for thermocouples.
- Load cell.
There is also an external hardening system, and axial and diametral strain gauges.
It has a tool for anchoring the different clamps (cylindrical and flat test specimens) for hot tensile tests, SICO tests, post-deformation dilatometry tests, thermal fatigue tests, etc. As a secondary tool it has an adapter for compression tests.
Its main characteristics are:
- “Direct resistance” heating thermal system (heating speed up to 10,000 ºC/s)
- Mechanical system with precise control of mechanical variables (axis movement, applied force)
- Transverse isothermal planes. Axial temperature gradient.
- Process simulation: hot rolling, forging, hot stamping, HAZ in welding and the mapping of forming, etc.
- Materials testing: thermal cycle tests, hot tensile tests (ductility), hot uniaxial compression tests (true stress-deformation curves), susceptibility cracking (SICO) tests, post-deformation dilatometry tests, thermal fatigue tests, fusion and solidification, etc.
- Companies devoted to manufacturing or transforming metal alloy products by means of thermo-mechanical processes. In particular, foundry and steel processes.