Laboratory for studying the microstructure of materials related to physical, mechanical and chemical properties and their thermomechanical history.
We carry out tests accredited under the UNE-EN ISO/IEC 17025 standard and have extensive experience in analysing different types of materials (metals, composites, ceramics, welded joints, etc.).
The following tests/analyses can be carried out in the laboratory:
- Macrographic examination (welded joints, fibreglass welds).
- Optical microscopy analyses of all types of materials (microstructures, grain size, determination of non-metal inclusions, coating thickness measurements, etc.).
- Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) analyses, such as fractographic analysis, microstructure, defectology and identification of constituent materials using the energy dispersed spectrometry (EDS) technique.
- Identification of phases, measurement of residual stress, textures, layer measurement by X-ray diffraction (XRD).
- Vickers micro-hardness tests and determination of the depth of surface thermal treatment.
- Phase/particle quantification through image analysis.
- Micro-sectional analysis of joints.
The laboratory has the following equipment:
- Optical microscopes with integrated digital camera augmented up to 1000 times.
- Metallographic replication and residual life.
- Digital image processing software
- Manual, semi-automatic and automatic Vickers micro-hardness equipment
- Portable field metallography device.
- Scanning electron microscope (SEM) with EDS and EBSD micro-analyser.
- X-ray diffraction (XRD).
- Stereoscopic magnifier augmented up to 200 times.
- Renewable energies
- Manufacturers of metal components
- Metal transformation sector
- Oil & gas sector
- Construction sector
- Manufacturers of components for the aeronautical, railway and automotive sectors
- Design and maintenance engineering firms
Certifications and Accreditations
Laboratory certified in ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 (ENAC certification No. 4/LE063)
ENAC ILAC accreditation for the construction sector in compliance with ISO 17025, under file No. 4/LE024
ENAC ILAC accreditation for acoustics in compliance with ISO 17025, under file No. 4/LE456. Laboratory with certified management system in accordance with standard UNE-EN 9100:2010.
AIRBUS authorised Laboratory for surface treatments
European Space Agency (ESA) authorised laboratory
Nadcap accreditation for chemical processes