Laboratory that supports the development of additive manufacturing technologies for high performance plastics and composites, based on FDM (fused deposition modelling) – direct extrusion and hybridisation with liquid moulding processes.
The laboratory has equipment for developing developing continuous fibre-reinforced polymeric composites and filaments, fine tuning manufacturing processes and impregnation and solidification post-processes.
It can also develop new design concepts to create moulds and tooling, final pieces, composite preforms, structural grids, 3D organosheets, and localised strengthening for integration in pre- or post-processes.
The main equipment the laboratory has includes:
- Material development unit: extruders for reformulating materials and filament extrusion.
- Injection machine and additive dispersion equipment (calender mill, Dispermart, ultrasonic baths and tips).
- Coating head using wire.
- Additive manufacturing unit: ZORTRAX M200, DYNAMICAL TOOLS DT600 and EOS printers – SLS and 6D equipment.
- TFP (tailored fibre placement) equipment and stitching head for manufacturing preforms using TFP.
- Manufacturers of products and components made of thermoset and thermoplastic composites.