The laboratory has a wide range of different surface technologies for developing coatings, surface treatments and surface modifications for different applications such as: tribological surfaces, anti-corrosion surfaces, protective surfaces, optical surfaces, omniphobic surfaces, functional surfaces and sensory surfaces; and for characterising the surfaces obtained.
This infrastructure has the following equipment:
- Cathodic spray system for physical vapour deposition (PVD): with direct current (DC), alternating current and at medium frequency (MF), as well as with high power impulses (HIPIMs).
- Equipment for active plasma shielding or post-discharge: nitriding, nitrocarburising, post-oxidation, hollow cathode treatment and coating deposition, among others.
- Equipment for plasma functionalisation and plasma polymer deposition.
- Microwave plasma.
Multi-purpose pilot plants:
We have automatic pilot plants (10 l and 30 l tanks) for chemical conversion, coating, electroplating, anodising, polymer coating, surface cleaning, passivation and sol-gel technology.
Equipment for characterisation:
- Equipment for scratch-resistance testing.
- Equipment for ultra micro hardness testing.
- Tribometers (POD Pin-On-Disk, alternatives – reciprocating – at different temperatures and in different environments).
- Erosion tests.
- Leakage tests.
All industries that focus on solving industrial problems such as wear, erosion, ageing, corrosion and bio-fouling, and on improving the functional properties of materials and components (electrical contact resistance, optical properties, self-cleaning, anti-frost, anti-microbial, anti-fouling, among others).